So you have a wallet.dat backup (example MyLanaWalletBackup.dat) and you want to regain access to your LANA or simple move your wallet to a new computer ?
Here is a simple guide with screenshots on how to gain access to your coins.
- Download desktop wallet from LanaCoin github and synchronize it. Follow the guide here.
- When you wallet is full up do date, shut it down.
- Go to your profile name %appdata% folder and look for folder “lanacoin” (this folder is a hidden folder, read this article on how to see hidden files and folders)
- Copy your backup file “MyLanaWalletBackup.dat” into the folder.
- When you powered on the wallet software for the first time a new empty wallet.dat was created in the appdata folder (where is lanacoin appdata folder? See guide for bitcoin as its the same for Lana)
- Delete the new wallet.dat or rename it to emptywallet.dat (make sure you dont change the .dat extension)
- Now rename MyLanaWalletBackup.dat to wallet.dat
- Now start wallet app.
- Voila you are done.
*** ALWAYS ENCRYPT YOUR WALLET WITH A STRONG PASSWORD. (SETTINGS / ENCRYPT WALLET) ***
*** WITHOUT A PASSWORD ANYONE WITH ACCESS TO YOU WALLET.DAT CAN STEAL YOUR COINS.*
*** IF YOU LOOSE / MISSPLACE YOU WALLET PASSWORD YOUR COINS ARE LOST.***
*** IF A HACKER STEALS YOUR WALLET.DAT AND THE PASSWORD YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR COINS.***
*** WALLET SUPPORTS MULTIPLE LANA RECIEVE ADDRESSES. ***
*** YOUR WALLET.DAT FILE STORES ALL THE PRIVATE KEYS FOR ALL YOUR RECIEVE ADDRESSES. ***
*** YOU CAN EXPORT INDIVIDUAL PRIVATE KEYS FOR THOSE PUBLIC KEYS/ADDRESSES BY USING THE WALLET CONSOLE COMMAND ***